AVA/OVW Conference Call – October 18, 2021
AVA Board members met with OVW staff this past Monday, October 18, 2021, for our quarterly conference call.
Please find some time to review the below list of items that we discussed with OVW. Thank you to those administrators who reached out to AVA in advance to share discussion topics for which you wanted/needed clarification.
1) Question about 10% set aside for culturally specific projects
The FAQs say the community-based organizations that constitute the 10% set-aside for culturally specific projects have to have a 501(c)3. Is that a requirement for all non-profits accessing STOP dollars or could discretionary funds be used to potentially fund an organization providing victim services that does not have a 501(c)3 status?
– To qualify for the culturally specific set-aside, the organization does have to be either a 501(c)3 or a tribal organization, but that is ONLY to meet the requirement for the culturally specific set-aside.
– An administrator can certainly fund a nonprofit culturally specific organization without a 501(c)3 with victim services money or the discretionary, but they would not be able to count that subaward toward the culturally specific 10% set-aside.
2) JustGrants Closeouts
Are there any OVW created resource guides that provide JustGrants guidance specific to the STOP award?
– OVW is in the process of creating a guide for STOP award closeouts and it should be completed by January of 2022.
– If Administrators encounter future problems with closeouts, please try to save a screenshot of the error message you are receiving and email a copy of that screenshot to your OVW Program Specialist.
– Use support from firstname.lastname@example.org
– There is less demand and the help that you receive will be specific to VAWA.
Project Period Extension Requests
OVW encourages you to let them know as early as possible if you will be requesting a project period extension. It’s never too early to reach out to your OVW Program Specialist. If you plan to request an extension, please be sure to be clear about:
– Your proposed end date
– How you plan to expend any remaining funding
– OVW is currently creating some internal messaging about Implementation Plans
– Administrators can expect to see the messaging related to IP’s in early January
The next OVW/AVA meeting is scheduled for January 10th, 2022.